Powered By Blogger

Friday, July 6, 2012

Ch 6 Reflections: So Many Choices! So Little Time!!

Q1: Now that I have access to the Web, how can I use it effectively?

AND Q3: Which features of the Web do I use?



Passion Flower
My favorite search engine is Google. Every time a question comes up in my daily life, I google it and get an answer. In order to be more effective at searches, I need to learn to use the Google Basic search strategies and be aware that my keywords may have more than one meaning.
Also, I am so used to using Google that I need to use other more specialized search engines. I like to collect lyrics to Broadway musicals like Phantom of the Opera. Sometimes it takes a while to find that information so next time I search, I will use a search engine like www.songza.com. 
In the classroom, I would probably let the students use a safe search engine such as Yahooligans. Our school system has filters so students should not be able to gain access to inappropriate materials online.


Skype is a good tool for having a meeting with someone at a remote location. Instead of having a visitor to the classroom, we could call them on Skype and let the kids take turns asking questions and chatting with a person of expertise. If the computer were hooked to a projector, the students could see the remote visitor on the screen. By adding a camera to the classroom, the remote visitor would also be able to see the students.


All the teachers at our school are all required to have a website. Using online storage, teachers could keep class documents online so that if a child is at home and they lost their worksheet, they can get a new one by printing it at home. Also, the teacher could make the Think Sheets online and receive the finished product online without using paper. The class website could have updates, reminders, and study tips. The teacher could use the website to communicate with parents. The students could have a website or files or folders where they keep their work until it is finished. 

The web is designed for communication and sharing of information. One group of students at our school made a school newspaper on the web and attached it to the school website. Students who want to share their thoughts can create a blog, or students who have a finished assignment can start a discussion thread on a wiki and publish it where others have access to the thread and can respond. Students could make a Power Point or movie or Prezi and upload it to You Tube and link it to the school website.


Q2: How do I manage students' use of the Web in my class?



Young people have a way of getting around the rules whether they are reading a book or using the Web. Our school has every student and parent sign an acceptable use policy but in the classroom there will be students who use the Web to get off task. We only have one computer and the students have to work in pairs and share. Sometimes they get off task and get caught by another student who tells on them. They are redirected to get back on task and reminded that computer use is a privilege. 


Image on this page protected by copyright. Teresa Vandegrift, 2012



References
Lowther, D., and Morrison, G., (2010). Integrating Technology into the Classroom: Skills for the 21st Century. Boston, MA. Pearson Education, Inc. USA

No comments:

Post a Comment